Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Dancing Away from the Traditional Aerobics

With the popular TV series So You Think You Can Dance as well as Dancing with the Stars, many are taking new interests in learning how to dance for their workout benefits and also, because it's FUN!

Dancing burns calories, boosts energy, and tones muscles. It can also help relieve stress and tension and improve your mood.

What's great about a dancing workout is that it does not involve any equipment or proper workout clothes. I know a lot of people are not into the whole "work out" thing, but dancing allows people to express creativity in a way that treadmills or ellipticals wouldn't allow them to.


Many gyms offer a variety of different dancing techniques. With names like Afro-robics, Cardio Soul or Dance Fusion, people are surely going to be drawn into these creative classes.

Here is some of the types of dancing that are offered in fitness facilities today:


Belly-dancing:


Not only is bellydancing fun, but it is a great workout as it improves posture and muscle toning, weightloss, and stess reduction. As someone who has tried it, I highly reccommend it because it is so fun and you think it doesn't give you a workout, but each time I actually had a class, it really made me sore the next day. Per hour, it surprisingly burns a wopping 250-300 calories. Try it!


Pole-dancing:



Though I've never had, or probably ever will take a "Pole-dancing" class, I have heard great things about these classes. Many have determined that pole and erotic dancing have proved to be more of a mental (ex confidence) as well as physical empowerful especially for women. Pole dancing is a LOT more strenuous than it looks. An increased muscle definition and overall toning of your body --especially in legs, arms and thighs.

Salsa dancing:

Okay, I have this Salsa workout tape--I can't believe I'm actually admitting this, BUT I put this tape on, religously. It IS an amazing workout for both men and women. With Salsa, the tempo is faster than most forms of dance music. It especially can lead to a reduced heart rate as well as toning your leg and arm muscles.





Hip Hop:
When I first found out, my gym would be offering hip hop dancing as well, I didn't really know what to think. I really couldn't picture older men and women in their sixties dancing to Ciara for example. Was I ever WRONG! They absolutely love it. The music, the moves, with hip hop, everyone gets a good workout. It's actually really fun and doesn't feel like your working out!




For those of you that are really shy and don't like to dance in front of people, try a workout video first. That way, you can dance in the privacy of your own home and then maybe in time, you can join a class with a friend, so that way you can get a fun workout with someone you know!

Oh, and remember with any style of dancing,

Dance like no one is watching you...
- Christina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.