Sunday, November 11, 2007

So...I'm Sore!!

And I'll tell you why!

My personal training all started last Friday and I have been sore ever since. This is really why I couldn't write a lot on here....kidding, but I have been very busy!

This morning I was brushing my teeth, and I realized that it really hurt to lift my arms up and brush! Then I was blow-drying my hair, which was just torture and then to style it, I couldn't do it ANYMORE!

I blame KELLY!

Kelly is one of the newer trainers at my gym and watching her work with the other clients, made me realize that I need that motivation to work out. I really hate to work out. Many of us really want to either tone up or lose weight, but in the shortest amount of time as possible. It takes a lot of time and sacrifice to get in shape and I am starting to sacrifice time to work out and I give up my cravings for unhealthy food choices.

What motivated me to get a personal trainer was because I did a lot of cardio (running on the treadmill, walking, using the elliptical trainer) but I never knew anything about how to use the weight training equipment. I always found it so intimidating because I didn't know how many reps to do on a certain machine, or how long, or what my posture should look like. I knew I wanted to get an overall workout with cardio and weights.

Personal trainers will create a program to fit your needs, budget and schedule. Several times a week is what many go for, but even an occasional check-in to get feedback is great too. It's all up to you.
Depending on the trainer, expect to pay between $25 and $100 an hour. Sometimes, to share costs, you might be able to bring a buddy to your sessions. I know it can be expensive, but it really is for your health and your future. Staying active is extremely important.

Okay, so you booked for first personal training session. What can you expect?

1. A fitness evaluation.
This is basically a series of tests - cardiovascular, flexibility, muscle strength and endurance - to see what kind of shape you are in. Your trainer should ask about your health conditions, medications and exercise experience.
2. A personalized exercise program.

This is designed specifically for you and what your needs are.

With the one-on-one attention to make sure you are using proper form and technique and that you get the most from your workout without getting injured. The benefits of your program are explained.

A trainer should motivate you and help you stick with your program. I'm not saying that you NEED a personal trainer to survive, it's that encouragement to help you with your fitness goals that is really beneficial for you.

If you are interested in getting a personal trainer, just check out your local gyms and make sure to see what each of them offer to their clients.

No comments: