Friday, November 2, 2007

Using Nintendo Wii To Workout




I came across Time Magazine's article entitled, Is the Wii Really Good for Your Health? on the Internet. It talks about the benefits of the Nintendo Wii. I did not know that users started to complain of back aches and sore shoulders because of the game. Well, that lead to the research of how Wii can be healthy and helps people become more active.
The article meantions that researchers, especially at the University of Toronto, are working on active video games, which are trying to improve kids being more active. I think this would certainly improve for children that normally are not active. This gives them the chance to bowl, or play tennis, for example and burn calories while playing.

I decided to try playing an "active" game, so I called up the one person I knew would have a Wii-- my younger cousin Justin, the biggest 'gamer' around. After a half an hour of trying to choose the game, we decided on the bowling game. I tried the game two ways. First, I just sat there, thinking that it did not matter if you moved your body or not. It really didn't work so, my second time around, I actually stood up and pretended I was actually bowling. But then I noticed, wow, you can really get a workout while playing this. It really caused you to move and get really involved in the game. Other video games for example, played on an Xbox really do not give anything but your hands a good workout.

I believe the Nintendo Wii has already revolutionized gaming. Not only can it provide entertainment, it can provide a new way to work out and stay active.

As I researched more on this topic, I found WiiHealthy. This is an website that is dedicated to getting in shape and being active on the Wii. The website does a great job on creating WiiSports workout guide. They break down the guide into sport by sport (boxing, tennis, etc) and tell the audience exactly how to play actively. They also provide a number of calories you will burn from actively playing these games.
Seriously, check out this website. It has some great ideas on what they are and have been working on to improve activeness. Ideas like yoga and aerobics have been meantioned. This makes me want to buy a Wii!
Now I'm excited!
“Boxing is the most active game on the Wii Sports disc. We strongly advise very heavy people not to go too wild in this one since your heart rate will go up a lot. This could be a problem for people who have been advised not to do big efforts. The fact is that this is the perfect game to lose weight. In a couple of minutes you can burn easily 121 calories in 15 minutes time."

1 comment:

Kiara said...

Surprisingly Wii Fit really does, as most of the research tries to prove. You have tried it yourself and first-hand information about this
Download Games controller or Wiimote is a great thing. Certainly amusing that developers try to consider the effect of their creation.